Judge recuses herself in Kenyatta University V.C case after attempted visit by lawyer Steve Ogolla

Justice Margaret Njoki Mwangi of the High Court in Kiambu has disqualified herself from the case challenging appointment of a new Vice Chancellor at Kenyatta University.

The judge recused herself on 20th May 2026 a day after she was informed that Ogolla, who represents Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba in the case, had attempted to visit her in her chambers to discuss the pending applications.

In the case, the university Deputy Vice Chancellor Professor Waceke Wanjohi challenging the process of appointing a new VC and renewal of Professor Wanjohi’s contract as Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

When the matter came up on 20th May, the judge asked Ogolla to explain the circumstances surrounding the attempted meeting.

In response, the lawyer said he intended to inform the judge that he would make an oral application seeking to discharge interim orders previously issued in favour of Professor Wanjohi.

“Due to the visit made by Mr Ogolla yesterday, 19th May 2026, at Kiambu High Court, whereby he informed my aide that he wanted to see me, a request that I declined, and the said advocate having explained in court today that he wanted to see me to inform me that he would be making an oral application today for the discharge of ex-parte orders, I hereby disqualify myself from this matter. I hereby allocate this matter to High Court number three for hearing and determination and highlighting of the POs will be before the said court on 23rd june 2026,” Justice Mwangi ruled.

Justice Mwangi had earlier issued conservatory orders directing the council to renew Professor Wanjohi’s contract pending the hearing and determination of the case.

She also allowed an application to to consolidate the two cases on grounds that they raise the same issues and had similar parties.

Before stepping aside, Justice Mwangi had extended orders barring Education CS Julius Ogamba, the Public Service Commission and the Kenyatta University Council from filling the vacant vice chancellor position pending the hearing and determination of the case.

In the case, Prof. Wanjohi argues that she is the most qualified candidate for the vice chancellor position, having allegedly emerged the top candidate during interviews conducted on 25th March 25 2026.

The applicant argues that there have been deliberate efforts to block her appointment despite her qualifications and performance.

In addition, the Prof. accuses the Kenyatta University council of attempting to circumvent court orders by refusing to renew Wanjohi’s contract.

Related Posts

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles